JIS G3452 is one of the Japanese industrial standards for carbon steel pipes. It describes the pipes that are used in the piping for the conveyance of steam, water, oil, gas, air, and other fluids. The working pressures are quite modest in this case. The standard is published by the Japanese Industrial Standards Committee. JIS G3452 is mainly used in low-pressure applications such as planar heat exchangers, non-critical pipeline components, and narrative discussions of thermal designs and stress analysis. In addition, this standard can be applied to hot-dip galvanized pipes in accordance with JIS G3445. When used in conjunction with JIS G3461, it can also be applied to pipe components such as boilers and high-pressure services. Finally, when used in thermal design and stress analysis, only the material strengths specified in this standard shall be used.
Why choose tuspipe?
Since 1998, Tianjin United Steel Pipe Co., Ltd (TUSPIPE) has been committed to supplying high-quality line pipes.
With over 500,000 tons annual production capacity, the company serves various fields and industries, such as oil & gas exploitation and transmission, ship & auto-building, water & electricity, environmental protection, mechanical engineering, infrastructure construction and etc.
TUSPIPE places a premium on product quality and rigorous product quality control. In order to maintain good product quality, the company has established a Test & Inspection Center since 2004. With a series of state-of-the-art tests and inspection equipment, the test & inspection center is able to perform the tensile tests, hydro tests, impact tests, DWTT, etc.
Steel Grades of JIS G3452 Pipes
Classification and Symbol of JIS G3452 Pipe
JIS G3452 pipes should be categorized into one grade, with its letter symbol being as shown in the following table, and further separated into black pipes and galvanized pipes based on the presence or absence of zinc-coated coatings on the outside of the pipe.
|Designation of grade||Designation of manufacturing method||Classification of zinc – coating|
|Manufacturing method||Finishing method||Marking|
|SGP||Electric resistance welded : E Butt welded : B||Hotinished : H Cold – finished : C As electric resistance welded : G||Designation of manufacturing method shall be in accordance with 13 b ).||Black pipes : not zinc – coated pipes White pipes : zinc – coated pipes|
|When it is necessary to identify the white pipes by a designation in the drawing , document , etc .,- ZN shall be suffixed to the designation of grade . However , it shall not apply to the marking on the product .|
Dimensions, Weight and Dimensional Tolerances of JIS G3452 Pipes
|JIS G3452 Dimensions, Weights and Dimensional Tolerances|
|Nominal Diameter||O.D.||O.D. Tolerances||W.T.||W.T. Tolerances||Unit Mass Excluding Socket kg/m|
|A||B||mm||Pipes to be Cut in Taper Thread||Other Pipes||mm|
|6||1/8||10.5||±0.5mm||±0.5mm||2||+Not specified -12.50%||0.419|
Chemical Composition of JIS G3452 Pipe
Mechanical Properties of JIS G3452 Pipe
|Designa – tion of symbol||Tensile strength N /mm2||Elongation a )%|
|Tensile test piece||Tensile test direction||Wall thickness|
|Over 3 mm up to and incl .4 mm||Over 4 mm up to and incl .5 mm||Over 5 mm up to and incl .6 mm||Over 6 mm up to and incl .7 mm||Over 7 mm to and excl .8 mm|
|SGP||290 min .||No .11 test piece||Parallel to the pipe axis||30min.||30min.||30min.||30min.||30min.|
|No .12 test piece||Parallel to the pipe axis||24min.||26min.||27min.||28min.||30min.|
|No .5 test piece||Perpen – dicular to the pipe axis||19min.||20min.||22min.||24min.||25min.|
|NOTE :1N/mm2=1MPa Note a ) The specification for elongation in this table shall not apply to the pipes whose nominal diameter is 32A or under , but the elongation shall be still recorded . Elongation may be specified upon the agreement between the purchaser and the manufacturer .|
- When the Tensile test is performed on the No. 12 or No. 5 test piece for a pipe with a wall thickness of less than 8mm, the minimum value of elongation shall be obtained by subtracting 1.5 percent from the values of elongation given in Table 3-1 for each 1mm decrease in wall thickness and rounding off to an integer by JIS Z 8401, the minimum value of elongation shall be obtained by subtracting 1.5 percent from the values of elongation In the Reference Table, you can find examples of calculations.
- The elongation values shown in the table are not applicable to pipes with a nominal size of 32 A or less, as specified in the table. The value of elongation, on the other hand, must be documented.
- If the tensile test pieces are being sampled, the No. 12 and No. 5 test pieces should be obtained from the area of the component that does not have any welded seams.
Manufacturing Method of JIS G3452 Pipe
- According to JIS G3452, pipes shall be manufactured by electric resistance welding or butt welding. Pipes shall be delivered as manufactured. However, the cold-finished pipes shall be annealed after manufacturing. This is done to relieve stress that has built up during the manufacturing process and to improve the pipe’s ductility and toughness.
- The standard for both ends of pipes is that they shall be either threaded or plain-ended. Pipes of a nominal diameter 350A or over shall have plain ends, while those of 300A or under may have either type of end. When the buyer specifies, pipes may be ordered with beveled ends instead. The shape of the bevel is to be agreed upon between the buyer and manufacturer, but absent such an agreement, it shall conform to the illustration below.
- JIS B 0203 describes the standards for taper threads on threaded pipes. The taper threads specified in JIS B 0203 shall be applied on both ends of the pipe, and a socket as described in JIS B 2301 or JIS B 2302 shall be screwed into one end of the threads. The other end of the pipe, which will not have a socket screwed into it, shall be provided with a thread-protecting ring or protected by other suitable means. If the purchaser specifies, the threaded pipe may dispense with a socket. The taper threads shall be inspected by JIS B 0253 before use.
- Before pipes and sockets are threaded, they zinc-coated. If the inspection passes, the pipes and sockets shall be cleaned by sandblasting, pickling, etc., then hot dip galvanized. The zinc used shall be distilled zinc ingot Class 1 specified in JIS H 2107 or at least equivalent thereto. Other general matters of zinc-coating shall be by JIS H 8641. Zinc coating protects the metal from corrosion and makes it last longer. It is essential in places where pipes and sockets are exposed to moisture or chemicals.
Reference Table of JIS G3452 Pipe
For the No. 12 Test Piece (Longitudinal) and No. 5 Test Piece (Transverse), obtained from pipes with wall thicknesses less than 8mm, examples of calculated elongation values are shown.
|Shape of Test Piece||Elongation Values for Wall Thickness Divisions (%)|
|No. 12 test piece||30||28||27||26||24|
|No. 5 test piece||25||24||22||20||19|
Test and Inspections of JIS G3452 pipe
- Chemical Analysis
Analytical Chemistry In line with JIS G 0303, general topics common to chemical analysis, as well as the process of sampling specimens for chemical analysis, should be followed.
A technique of analysis in compliance with one of the following Standards must be used: Analytical Method
The JIS G 1214, JIS G 1215, JIS G 1253, JIS G 1256, and JIS G 1257 standards are among the most widely used in the world.
- Tensile Test
A piece of testing unless otherwise indicated in JIS Z 2201, the test specimen shall be a test piece designated by the numbers 11, 12, A, 12, B, 12, C, or No. 5 as defined in JIS Z 2201 and shall be sampled from a pipe.
- Hydrostatic Test or Nondestructive Test
Tests on the black pipe must be carried out, and the hydrostatic characteristic or nondestructive characteristic obtained must meet either of the two requirements listed below. This decision will be left to the specification of the purchaser or the discretion of the manufacturer, depending on which one is preferred by the manufacturer.
- Flattening Test
Test piece a test piece 50 mm or over in length shall be cut off from the end of a pipe.
Dimensional Tolerances of JIS G3452
- Outside Diameter Tolerance a)
|Classification||Outside Diameter b)||Tolerances on Outside Diameter c)||Applicable Division|
|Class 1||Under 50mm||± 0.5mm||Applied when there is no specification. Applicable to hot-finished seamless steel tubes.|
|50mm or Over||± 1%|
|Class 2||Under 50mm||± 0.25mm||Applied when there is a specification. Not applicable to hot-finished seamless steel tubes.|
|50mm or Over||± 0.5%|
|Notes||a) For the local parts such as repaired parts if the wall thickness can be confirmed to be within the tolerance in the table below, the outside diameter tolerance of this table need not be applied.|
|b) The method for measuring the outside diameter of tubes exceeding 350mm in outside diameter may be determined by the circumferential length. The mutual conversion of outside diameter D and the circumferential length l shall be by the following formula: D = l / π Where D: outside diameter (mm) l: circumferential length (mm) π：3.1416|
|c) The tolerances on the outside diameter of ends of electric resistance welded and automatic arc welded steel tubes exceeding 350mm in outside diameter shall be ±0.5%。|
- Wall Thickness Tolerance a)
|Classification||For Seamless Steel Tube||For Other than Seamless Steel Tube||Applicable Division|
|Wall Thickness||Tolerance of Wall Thickness||Wall Thickness||Tolerance of Wall Thickness|
|Class 1||Under 4mm||+0.6mm, -0.5mm||Under 4mm||+0.6mm, -0.5mm||Applied when there is no specification. Applicable to hot-finished seamless steel tubes.|
|4mm or Over||+15%, -12.5%||4mm or Over to and excl. 12mm||+15%, -12.5%|
|12mm or Over||+15%, -1.5mm|
|Class 2||Under 3mm||±0.3mm||Under 3mm||± 0.3mm||Applied when there is a specification. Not applicable to hot-finished seamless steel tubes.|
|3mm or Over||±10%||3mm or Over to and excl. 12mm||±10%|
|12mm or Over||+10%，-1.2mm|
|Notes||a) The tolerances on the wall thickness of tubes exceeding 1016.0 mm in outside diameter may be agreed upon between the manufacturer and the purchaser.|
Marking of JIS G3452 pipe
A label containing the following information should be placed on each pipe that has passed inspection: smaller pipes and other pipes were chosen by the purchaser, on the other hand, maybe bundled together and tagged with a unique identification number for each bundle. The sequence in which the indicated items should be arranged is not stated in either situation.
Part of the products may be omitted if the purchaser gives his or her approval.
- The grade is represented by a letter sign.
- A letter sign that represents the manufacturing processes
- Manufacturer’s name or its identifying brand